BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, 15 May 2013

Home Sweet Home - Hopefully For Abit Longer This Time... !!

Home again, thankfully this admission wasn't quite so long but still painful being far away from home. However, I felt I was much more positive about it this time, I wanted to stay until I knew I was starting to improve, I can't keep doing this twoing & frowing from my hubby & babies it absolutely kills me. I was admiited on the first bank holiday of May & the weather was amazing, typically, the sun shone & we were on our way to be stuck in a hospital room for god knows how long. Soon as I was unpacked in room 8 on Firtree & settled it was like I had never been away, certain staff members would ask ' are you still here?' & aww huni didn't you go home? You just love us too much!' Yes, that's true, I do love them, but I'd rather make quick cuddley hello's during a clinic day & go back home to be honest!

I was first on the bronch list for the following morning, fellow cfer's Kirstie & Neil were there too which was quite odd as we'd never have thought all 3 of us from Devon would be there with new lungs, all having a bronch on the same day a couple of years ago when we were all struggling to stay alive.... I was really anxious about waking up from the general anthesestic from my reaction I had the last time so I kept repeating myself as they took me into theatre... 'Please let them wake me up nicely' They must have thought I was already on the gas! Thankfully they listened & took great care & a couple hours later I was in my room, feeling sick & sore but ok...

I knew we'd have to wait several days for the results, they had already changed a few of my medications around so I just got on with sticking to the plan. On Wednesday I saw Dr Carby, (love that man) who spent the majority of the time looking at my snake pics & telling me stories about giant burms & salamanders when he went on holiday a few years ago! Eventually he sat down & told me about my bronch (which he did) the following day, he said there was a hell of a lot of secreations in my lower lobes they had pretty much filled up & they couldn't get out a lot of it that day as there was just so much & it was very thick, he thought that my intial infection, the one that I was admitted for a month previously, which the treatment then led to my kidney beans being a pain, hadn't been sorted properly & just got a hell of a lot worse. There was so much gunk down there he knew I wouldn't be able to clear it myself, so was scheduled for another bronch on Friday morning to hoover & repeat another biopsy just to be sure on results. I was seen later on that afternoon & was told the results had come back from the previous biopsy & showed the signs consistant with the infection they had previously mentioned & A1 minimal rejection.

People always tend to get very scared of the R word, I didn't tell people at first, I just wanted to keep a cool head about it, it was mild & I knew I was in the best possible place for it to be treated & they would do their upmost to get me better & I was right.

I had my second bronch on the Friday again slipping off to 'please wake me up nicely' without a hitch other than a nice fat lip when I came round! Not sure who to blame there, but I wouldn't blame Martin anyway I don't think as he always does what he can for me! On Friday afternoon I was seen by the doctors & we decided for me to stay over the weekend as I still wasn't well enough, I would do a lung function on the Monday, see if my results were better & then possibly go home if I was heading in the right direction.

I had a lovely visit from my beautiful girl Hannah on the Saturday which kept my spirits up, she got there really early bless her, & brought dvd's for us to watch, we had a slow walk into the village & she treated me to my fave kebab delight, lamb shish & garlic sauce in a pitta & then we cuddled up until she had to leave. (I also must mention at this point that I was treated to the same yummyness just before nil by mouth on my bronch evenings by Yvonne & Neil, so thank you very much for that!) Hannah was with me about 12 hours in total, it certainly passed the time & she cheered me up no end, I was so grateful, what an amazing friend. Sunday was crap & I was feeling low but the time ticked on & I just knew I had to stay positive & get through it, the following day I could be told I was going home, so suck it the hell up girl!

I was up bright & early Monday & hounding the nurses so I could get to see Stuart to do my lung function tests. I finally went about 10am & to my disappointment it was only up a fraction, but a fraction non the less, Simone had already listened to my chest before I had left for my tests & I was already again on the bronch list for the following day as I still sounded full of gunk, constant wheeze & lots of lower lobe crackles, however soon as I got back to the ward I got my nurse to telephone her to come see the results & she came to my room with the great news that as it was up slightly & providing I go home on the same regieme of medications they had put me on this admission I could go home the following day & work hard for clinic the week after.... I was overjoyed, I just had twenty four more hours to get through & then I'd be on my way home!

By half 8 on Tuesday night I pulled up outside my house, after just over a week of seeing my soul mate & best friend I gave him the hugest hug ever. It was soooo good to see him & he had dinner on the go ready for my arrival, what a star. I am set to return to clinic after the second May bank holiday which gives me a little more time to try & regain some of the lung function & muscle weakness I lost over the last six weeks. As much as it pains me to say it, I am going to have to be extremely vigilant with catching up with people until I know I am properly on the mend, I can't be anywhere near bugs which goes without saying & the doctors want me to be extremely careful from now until I see them again so I don't dip straight down again...

As you know I will do anything to try & protect my precious lungys, I have so much to look forward to over the next couple of months, I really need to try hard to stay well enough so I can enjoy it, as much as I love the hospital & staff, I think a day visit here & there from now on for a while will suffice! Hope you can all be patient with me whilst I try to get on the mend & thank you so much for all your support & well wishes as always. 

 
Ssshhh, In The Quiet Room, Cheers Hannah!


 

Thank you as always for taking the time to read xxx

1 comment:

  1. Glad to read this post as it seems that you have finally turned the corner with your recovery. Hope that you can start to regain you LF now & enjoy your time at home now :)

    ReplyDelete