So this will be my last
blog of 2016. Without doubt, one of the hardest years to get through since I
can last remember.
After losing Jack in
October, I thought we had been given our fill of heartache for one reason or
another this year, but no. Just a few short weeks later, Andrew, who was
waiting for his transplant call, died in the arms of his fiancé Helen. They had
planned to marry & bring up their boys together as soon as he had his new
lungs. He was literally the funniest cunt I have ever had the pleasure of
knowing, every other word would be a swear word & he didn't even have to
try to wind up the most pathetic excuse of a human being. I can't tell you how
many times he was blocked from a group & suspended from Facebook! We had a
lot in common & I am absolutely gutted he didn't get the chance he so very
much deserved. Rest in peace Wardy.
You'd think that would be
enough wouldn't you? No. We laid to rest a legend on Friday morning of last
week. Kirstie Tancock. Literally, no joke she was a legend. I have known her
for years as she was treated at the same hospital as me with the same CF team
& we often were admitted together with whatever infection we had at the
time. It's no lie when I say we weren't best friends, Kirstie loved the
spotlight, & I was a little more reserved. We never had a fall out or
anything we simply just slipped away from each other as the years passed.
Kirstie had had two lung transplants & was diagnosed with chronic rejection
just before the Summer. Harefield had tried to help with radiotherapy &
other treatments but nothing was working. When I was admitted with my tummy
problems, Kirstie was told there was nothing they could do for her & that
she should return home & do what she wanted with what remained of the rest
of her life. I was trying to deal with my own shit (fucking literally) but that
cut deep. She had been basically like a CF sister to me & although we
hadn't talked in yonks I just wanted to hug her.
So I reached out &
sent her a message, to which she replied immediately. I just wanted her to know
that despite everything, I was there for her & she wasn't alone. She was
just as kind telling me the same & that she couldn't believe the news about
my bowel. We have since kept in touch with messages every few days seeing how
each other were getting on & hoping to lift spirits.... I was even going to
take Crumble up to see her as she was desperate to have a skunk cuddle. Then
came the news I never thought I would have heard, not for a long time. Kirstie,
who fought every battle a CFer could face, had quietly passed away with her
family around her. The night before she had posted on Facebook that she'd had a
nice shower & things were feeling a bit better. Just a few short hours
later she was gone. I honestly am still stuck for words. Back in the days of
hanging around hospital corridors with each other at 2 in the morning talking
about bollocks we promised each other that in years to come we would be two old
ladies, rocking in wheelchairs with our knitting whilst nagging at Stu
(Kirsties husband) & Stef...
It was our pact & now
I am without her. Kirstie was inspirational. She was full on, that was just her
character, but she made people stand up & listen. She raised so much money
for charity & so much awareness for organ donation, she has left the most
amazing legacy & she will never be forgotten. Not by anyone. It sounds a
bit weird, but her funeral, or should I say celebration of life was the best
service I have been too - don't get me wrong, it was heartbreaking & there
were tears a plenty but it was 100% Kirstie. She had planned everything to a T,
& it was perfect. I went with two of my CF nurses & despite the
circumstances got to see & meet some transplant friends that I haven't seen
in ages. The room was filled with hugs, tears & memories & I think she
would have absolutely loved it. My heart goes out to Stuart, her husband, Lynn her mum & the rest of Kirstie's family - I
can't imagine what they must be going through especially at this time of year
where everything is so much harder because after all, it is about family....
Life is too short &
the last few months have taught me that more than ever. I am so so happy to have
sent her that message, in her own words, "we have been through a lot of
shit together & that doesn't just get forgotten".
Sweetdreams Tinkerbell.
You will always have a place in my heart.
So moving onto the
situation with me...
Today was D Day.
I had my appointment with
my surgeon, the man who saved my life in July & gave me Steve. As you know
currently, I have Steve the stoma & because he plays a bit of havoc with my
hydration levels & kidneys, I am on a solution to keep my head above the
water 24/7 via my peg feeding tube & an amazing little bag given to me by
my angel nephew Jack. (miss you so much handsome)
It seems to get me by, I
have accepted Steve & the St Marks as just another new regime that's
slotted into my life. Don't get me wrong, I have my bad days & boy do I
fucking hate it, the mess, the pain, the embarrassment but again, just like
everything else it is keeping me alive.
If you can remember I was
given two options, 1) to remain as I am & continue as I have been the last
six months (yes it really has been that long, I mean what the fuck) or 2) go
for the operation, carrying risks.
Today, we discussed those
risks.... My surgeon although he can't obviously say for sure, doesn't think
the operation itself will be a problem, it'll be massive & invasive, they
will have to open me up even more & remove the blocked parts of my
intestines, then join back up to the other side. This is where it will get
risky. The 'join' can become weak during recovery & break down, allowing poo,
bacteria & god knows what else into your body, this will kill you. This is
also on a person who doesn't carry the complications I do. The risk is much
higher for me & if my join were to break down I would have no hope in
surviving. I had already been thinking about what I was going to do for the
last few weeks depending on what my surgeon said, but going in there today I
had my mind 99.9% made up. Especially with the recent loss of Kirstie.
After Dr Bethune told me
everything & asked what my opinion was I was 110% sure.
Steve & the St Marks
are here to stay. The door has been left open, maybe six months down the line
(but I very much doubt it) I will change my mind & want to speak to the
surgeons again, but no. Just no way. My life is fucking complicated but I love
my life. My eyes fill with tears at just the thought of leaving Stefan behind,
my friends, my family - I mean who would be here to cuddle the skunks? Eat
biscoffe from the jar with a spoon, yes the whole fucking jar... &
literally be the face of any Nightmare Before Christmas / Batman / Joker /
skunk & snake related meme on Facebook!
Kirstie didn't want to
die, she had so much more left to achieve, Andrew was getting married, Jack was
just 5! Just 5 fucking years old. How can I have my life saved 3 times &
the just think fuck it, I'll risk it all because cosmetically I'll look better
without a stoma.
Yes I get depressed about
it, yes I wear maternity jeans now because nothing else is comfortable &
yes, I would love to be able to sit on the toilet for half an hour playing on
my phone like everyone else around here & having that amazing feeling when
you go for a nice poo but tough shit Kim!! This is the hand I have been dealt
& I will deal with it like I do everything else. I want to live for as long
as I possibly can, I have far too much to loose, every day I wake up is a gift
& I don't intend to waste it.....
2016 has been a terrible
year, for a lot of people I know too - I am not going to be making stupid new
years resolutions that you jack off within a 48 hour period. You know when you
say to people, "oh, we must catch up! It's been too long" & it
never happens... Well 2017 is going to be full of catch up's, full of caffeine
free teas (sorry, just for me) snapchat stories, feet on the sofa & talking
for hours on end because life is too fucking short for you to just let it slip
you by, you'll all be telling me to fuck off!!
I will leave you with a
few photos now of what I have been up to over the last few weeks just to try
break the tension a little... Where ever you are, whatever your doing, have a
wonderful Christmas. Call in on a friend, ring a family member you have been
avoiding, forgive & forget. Make 2017 about what you want & how you can
get it. I plan to. All my love guys
xxxxxxx
![]() |
| New Jared Leto ' Joker' Tattoo |
![]() |
| Date Night With The Handsome One |
![]() |
| Pretty In Pink For Kirstie's Celebration Of Life |








Have a good Christmas kimmy , and keep kicking CFs arse .heres hoping 2017 will be better for you lots of love Ian
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas Kim what a moving blog and so to the point such a strong lady xxx
ReplyDeleteWishing you, stef and the zoo a very merry chrimble!! Keep that chin up chickadee,Lady T will always be watching! much love.xxxx
ReplyDelete